Monday, February 27, 2012

The Abbey (Ash Rashid)

The Abbey (Ash Rashid)


Reviews



There are a lot of reviews on this book. I'm not sure anyone will actually read mine. I'm not a literary type who writes great reviews; mainly, I thought the author deserved another 5-star review to increase the star-average. So, if you don't find my review helpful, feel free to mark it that way. Go ahead, you won't hurt my feelings!

So, for my review, I thought I'd dispel some of the criticisms of the book and mention what I like.

Unfair criticisms:
1) Muslim hero: Some people complained that the religion of the hero -- mainly the constant references to it -- was distracting. I didn't think so at all. There were just enough references to make the hero more human, so the reader can grow attached to him. And they were all very tasteful references. Honestly, the author could have made the hero Christian or Jewish and the impact would have been the same, so there is no reason to complain about references to the hero's Muslim religion.
2) Language: There is some foul language in the book, but no more than you'd expect in a novel about a cop. The swear words are not distracting, as one reviewer put it.
3) Vampires: Who complained about vampires mustn't have read the book. Sure, the villain runs a club where people can pretend to be vampirish, but it's not a book about vampires.
4) Violence: Not more than in any other police drama.

What I like:
1) The book is very unpredictable and captivating. It is almost stressful to read, it is so suspenseful. That is a lot from me, since I usually complain the plots in modern entertainment are all alike. I would put this book on par with any Ken Follet book, in this dimension.
2) The quality of the writing. The author has a very straight-forward writing style. By this, I mean his sentences are clear and succinct and grammatically correct. (As I said, the story itself is not predictable.) A lot of good story tellers bumble out words, but not this author.
3) The hero is very human. You grow attached to him. Like I said above, the references to his personal struggles is what makes him human; the Muslim religion is only the tool.

In sum, this book is not in the same league as most self-published works. It in a higher league than most books put out by major publishing companies. The bulk of reviews are right: this may be the best 99c you'll spend!


No comments:

Post a Comment